Calendar | News | History | Museum | Join Now! | Photo Gallery | Panoramas | Get Involved | Contact | Links
The Friends of
Long Pond Ironworks

Museum & Visitor Center Open Friday - Sunday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m

Peter Hasenclever Book
The biography, letters and statements of German entrepreneur and founder of Long Pond Ironworks, Peter Hasenclever, is available at the West Milford Museum and Ringwood Manor gift shop.


SPECIAL OFFER - "Iron Mine Trails" by Ed Lenik
"The History Girl" visited Long Pond - Read her account!

Please support our Business/Corporate Members!

Long Pond Ironworks was founded in 1766 and operated continually until 1882, making iron for a wide range of purposes. Today, the ruins of three furnaces and other unique structures remain in a beautiful setting within Long Pond Ironworks State Park near the New York border in West Milford, New Jersey and can be visited all year.

The Friends of Long Pond Ironworks, Inc. (FOLPI) is a nonprofit (501-c:3) volunteer organization dedicated to preserving, restoring and interpreting the remaining structures and the history behind them. FOLPI is an "Officially Recognized Friends Organization" of Long Pond Ironworks State Park.

The 175-acre Long Pond Ironworks Historic District is an example of the ironworks plantations established in the American Colonies prior to independence. The village and furnaces at Long Pond produced iron for the Continental Army, for the American forces in the War of 1812, and for the Union Army during the Civil War. Long Pond Ironworks is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places and has been designated a National Historic Landmark.

The historical value of Long Pond Ironworks is paralleled only by its natural beauty. The forests that were once cut to make charcoal for the furnaces have returned, and the river that was once diverted into the hydropower systems again cascades over ancient rock formations. The Friends of Long Pond Ironworks are working to ensure that the Historic District is preserved and remembered for its contributions to our past, present and future.

The furnace area foot bridge over the Wanaque River destroyed by Hurricane Irene in 2011 was replaced in partnership with the NY-NJ Trail Conference in 2018.
Bridge Inauguration & Museum Grand Re-opening (YouTube)
Read the NJDEP news release!

  FaceBook Link   Instagram link
YouTube Channel Link

   Join FOLPI


   Virtual Tour






Get Involved



   Contact Us

  VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! - After years of planning and effort, the Long Pond Ironworks Museum opened to the public on Saturday, April 10, 1999. Why not help us make the Museum a valuable resource for everyone?! There are opportunities to become Museum "Greeters" as well as tour guides and docents. To become involved, leave a message on the FOLPI Information Line: 973-657-1688.  

"The Long Pond Ironworks [is] a nationally significant site of American ironworks."
Eric De Lony, Chief Architect
National Park Service

Calendar | News | History | Museum | Photo Gallery | Panoramas | Get Involved | Contact | Links